Search for:

 

Home
Up
7603 Fire Photos
7603 Fire Articles

 

On February 4th, 1999 a fire broke out at the 7603 building, in the corner between the E & F units. The fire climbed up the wall an into the attic space of the B, C, D & E units.

The fire totaled all 6 units in the building, and displaced the 6 families for over a year and destroyed all of their belongings. One of the families was Doug Horman's family in the C unit. At the time he was Hanover Square's board president. Denise Mayes, former Hanover Square board member was also one of the unlucky ones.

The fire was eventually determined to be caused by a Commonwealth Edison power line being laid over a leaking Nicor natural gas line.

The board of Directors and Horizon management have been in a legal battle with these two entities since the fire and are still waiting for a trial.

This fire not only forced the board to use ALL of our reserve funds in order to bring the building to code, but also because we had to file a claim with the insurance company, the associations insurance rates skyrocketed! making a financially strapped association further in the hole.

But There is positives to this event. No one was hurt or killed. And now the 7603 building if now almost completely new and up to the building codes of 2000.

Some of the things that are in the 7603 building are hardwired smoke detectors, Door bells, and a greater pitch of the roof.

For photos and news articles, please use buttons on the left

 

Send mail to hanoversquarepres @ yahoo . com with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright 2006 Hanover Square Condo Association
Last modified: February 09, 2011
technical support provided by www.angelsofdata.com